Toyota Tacoma comes with an ABS to maintain the stability of the car, especially in times of emergency. However, sometimes, the ABS light can turn on out of nowhere.
So, why is the Toyota Tacoma ABS light on? The ABS light can turn on if the sensor is damaged or connections are loosened. Also, blown fuse, low tire pressure, and faulty magnetic ring can be the reason behind this. However, measurements can be employed after detecting the problem.
As the illumination of ABS light on the dashboard depends on multiple reasons, finding the root of the problem is required. In the below section, the possible causes and solution for ABS light-on is added. Let’s dig into it!
Table: Toyota Tacoma ABS Light On Causes And Solutions
Below are the key reasons behind the toyota tacoma ABS light-on and the solutions are added.
|Bad wheel speed sensor||Replace the sensor|
|Faulty connections||Tighten the connections|
|Replace the connection wires|
|Faulty brake system||Fill the fluid in the cylinder|
|Position the brake paddle|
|Replace the brake pad|
|Replace the rotor|
|Low tire pressure||Pump the tire to adequate pressure|
|Replace the flat tire|
|Faulty fuse||Change the fuse|
|Bad ABS control||Contact professionals to replace it|
Toyota Tacoma ABS Light On: Causes And How To Fix
The causes are further described below with necessary solutions to give a clear idea.
Bad Wheel Speed Sensor
The failure in the speed sensor is the most common reason behind turning the toyota tacoma ABS light on. Generally, the speed sensor is attached to the wheel.
When the wheel rotates, the sensor gives a speed reading to the dashboard. All the wheels need to rotate at the same speed to show the right value on the dashboard. Otherwise, the reading would not be constant and cause the ABS light to turn on.
Here’s how you can fix it;
- Clean the sensors if they are under the dust.
- Check the ABS sensor with the OBDII scanner. OBDII scanner will show an error code if the ABS sensor has gone bad.
Code P0500= Shows a bad speed sensor.
Code C0250= Faulty rear wheel sensor.
Code C1239= Faulty rear sensor installation.
Code C0200= Right front wheel faulty speed sensor.
Code C0210= Right rear wheel faulty speed sensor.
Code 33/34= Right rear speed sensor and left rear speed sensor malfunction.
Code 31= Right front speed sensor.
Code 32= Left front speed sensor.
- You can also measure the voltage with the help of the voltmeter. The voltmeter will show a fluctuation of voltage between 0.6 to 5 volts.
Remove the battery connections first to check the speed sensor if it’s damaged or not.
Next, connect the voltmeter to the sensor and see if the reading is provided when the wheel is under rotation. If there is no reading shown, the sensor needs to be replaced.
Well, the faulty connection of the sensor or any damage to the connection wires also leads to the ABS light on. If the connection between the magnetic ring and the sensor is corroded or damaged, the system would detect the faulty speed reading. Consequently, the ABS light turns on.
Apart from that, developing moisture in the connection points can be a major problem. It occurs mainly when the car is driven on tough roads during rainy or snowy seasons.
Here’s how you can fix it;
- Well, first you need to remove the battery connections to check the sensor connections.
- Check from the top to the bottom of the connecting wires.
- Make sure there is no corrosion or dent in the connection of the speed sensor.
- Cut wires and melted wires need a quick replacement.
- Furthermore, slowly disconnect the connection point. And remove the sensor from the connection point. If you find any trace of moisture, let it dry. Afterward, reconnect the wires.
Faulty Brake System Due To Low Brake Fluid
The ABS light can also turn on if the brake fluid is too low. The fluid helps to run the brake smoothly and provides sufficient pressure. If the fluid level is low, the pressure would go down and the brake paddle would not be in stable condition anymore.
Well, low pressure in the brake system can also occur if the brake pads are torn and the fluid leaks. Apart from that, damaged or loose rotors can be a reason for a faulty brake system.
The incorrect position and loose brake pads can also lead to low pressure in the brake system. Which in terms lets the ABS light go on.
- First, adjust the brake paddle.
- Next, add fluid to the master cylinder if the fluid level is low.
- And repair the leaks.
- Lastly, fix the rotor if it’s not working. Also, a loose rotor should be tightened.
- To check if the rotor is okay or not, rotate it at a normal speed.
- If the spinning becomes hard, it means the rotor is not secured. Moreover, look for cracks and corrosion signs and fix them accordingly.
Low Tire Pressure
Well, one of the functions of the toyota tacoma ABS sensor is to monitor the speed of the wheels. Here, the sensor monitors the speed of all four wheels. If the speeds vary, the ABS light turns on.
Moreover, when the pressure in the tire is reduced, the wheels move at a faster speed. Consequently, the differences in the speed are observed and the ABS light gets turned on.
- Check the tire and pump it to moderate pressure.
- To check the pressure, you need to drive the car for at least 3 hours before checking. Now, use a pressure gauge to find the correct pressure of each tire. Generally, the recommended pressure for each tire should be 29-32 psi. Nevertheless, the ideal tire pressure can vary with the tire size.
- Remove the tire valve stem and hold the gauge opening straight against it. After 2 seconds, the reading will become stable on the screen.
- Now, secure the valve stem again.
- Also, change the tire if required. Generally, when the tire becomes punctured or completely torn, there is no other choice than to replace it.
The ABS sensor fuse can become weak or damaged due to a short circuit or overheating. Also, corrosion in the fuse connection can cause the fuse to not work.
In addition to that, a loose connection of the fuse can also cause the ABS light to turn on.
- Find the fuse box and the ABS fuse.
- Clean the fuse.
- Remove the corrosion and moisture in the internal connections.
- Check the ABS fuse by pulling the fuse out and see if it’s damaged or not.
- A good fuse should have no sign of stress and melting. It would not be damaged or broken either. Place the fuse under light to detect if it is good or not.
- You can easily find an ABS fuse on the market and replace the damaged ones.
Bad ABS Control
ABS control is generally an electrical system that controls the function of the ABS. Nevertheless, it can fail over time or due to corrosion.
Because of the faulty ABS control, the brakes on the wheels are not under the control of the ABS anymore. When the ABS module fails, it can no longer control the brakes and operate its functions.
Consequently, the ABS light gets turned on.
The ABS module needs a replacement. However, the whole procedure is complex and you will not be able to handle it by yourself. Leave the rest to the skilled professional.If your Toyota Tacoma’s ABS light has illuminated unexpectedly, don’t worry – we’re here to help you troubleshoot the issue. Our article on Chevy Silverado ABS light problems may provide insights that resonate with your situation. Furthermore, if you’re driving a Toyota Camry and experiencing ABS-related difficulties, our guide on Toyota Camry ABS light concerns is here to provide assistance. Safety on the road is paramount, and our comprehensive resources are designed to help you navigate and resolve any ABS-related challenges you might encounter.
Let’s go through some of the commonly asked questions regarding this topic.
No, once the ABS light goes on, it indicates that something is wrong with the system. If neglected for too long, it can result in the worst situations. At the time of need, the ABS would not work and control the car. Consequently, it can lead to tragic accidents.
No, bad ABS would not cause the brake to fail. Rather, the brake would not let the car stop immediately in case of emergency.
Generally, ABS sensors can last up to 30,000 to 50,000 miles. Whereas the ABS module lasts for more than 10 years.
Overall, the Toyota Tacoma ABS light on has a long range of causes and solutions. The most common reasons are brake system failure and loose connections. Apart from that, there is a very low chance that the sensor or module will go bad.
Some may try resetting the ABS and get the ABS light to disappear. But it will not solve the problem permanently. Rather, uninvited accidents may follow.